Saturday 11 June 2011

G'day There

Heh, well this has been a long time coming.

When i was a young bloke we read. A lot. Dad wasn't real fussed on the idiot box and daylight hours were for playing outside catching cicadas and fun stuff like that.

So in the evening, we read. I cut my teeth on science fiction and to this day I remember most of the thrill of reading "The day of the Triffids" for the first time. Dad had some books by a bloke called Ion Idriess and these were hard going for a young bloke but they opened my eyes to the vast emptiness of Australia. I had to see it some day. I yearned for the blue sky country of the outback from my early teens onwards. I had to see every beach, every mountain, every river.

I read a lot. I dreamed of writing myself, but first I reckoned I needed to see some stuff before I would be able to write about it.

Australian outback sunset
Australian outback sunset

Well It's been thirty years or so since I was that young bloke. Now I'm a bit crusty round the gills and I figured I better get some of these adventures written down.

Recommended Post Slide Out For Blogger